Total Pageviews

Monday 21 January 2013

Staying in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia – First Arrival

Before I came to start my duty in Saudi Arabia, the HR consultant already told me to expect about 3 hours for clearance at Dammam Airport. Although that was not the first time I travelled alone and not the first time I came to Saudi Arabia but this time is very different for the previous visit. I came with working visa.


During my previous visits I came in a big group, managed by travel agent. I still remember the waiting at the immigration for passport stamping. It took such a long time to finish the whole group therefore I would expect the same at Dammam.

Arrived at Dammam Airport (King Fahd International Airport) at 5:00am on 29 September 2010 by Malaysia Airlines. Stepping out of the plane, rushed to the immigration checking. Unlike Kuala Lumpur International Airport, on the way to the immigration check point there is nothing on the way except a toilet. The time was late for fajr prayer. I was third person at immigration queue checking, therefore, it took less than 30 minutes to clear. It was only 45 minutes I was already out at the arrival hall.


I was lucky, there was a Malaysian who at the same time arrived. We went to a restaurant, get some doughnut and coffee and open the instruction letter from HR consultant. Study the letter together to find way how to get to Jubail. There is a phone number to contact but when I tried no answer. The instruction says, go to car rent company HANCO and tell them your Saudi Kayan employee that just arrived. Yes! I did as instructed.

Well done, everything was arranged and the person in-charged asked me to wait. I waited for one hour for the car but still not arrive. I tried to ask why it was late, but the person answered, wait, the car will come. I sensed some problem when I asked something. I would get the correct answer from some people here if I talk too much, because they may not understand English.

After two hours the car arrived.

No comments:

Post a Comment