Total Pageviews

Saturday 26 January 2013

Staying in the KSA – Searching for camel farm in Khafji

That was end of December 2010 a friend invited me and my family to visit Khafji. It is about 200km up to the north of Jubail. The plan was to see camel farm. That was the first outstation travel and  my car was less than 1 week old (registered on 6 Dec 2010) and my saudi driving licence was 2 weeks old. And my self less than 3 months stay in Saudi Arabia.

Khafji is near Kuwait border  and Jubail near is about 80km north of Dammam

We started the journey after fajr on Thursday morning 9 December 2010 with my family (me, my wife and two sons) and three of my friends from home to a destination we didn't really know the location. Apart from my friend Aidee Daud who stayed in Saudi Arabia since May 2012, the rest were less that 3 months. But non of us know the place and how to get there. I drove a Toyota Fortuner and my friends drove a Hummer (at the front), we rely on Garmin GPSto locate the destination.

Driving in two cars across the desert
Since it was my first time travelling in Saudi Arabia Desert, everything we saw was new to us. Something that I never saw in Malaysia. The land was flat, almost no trees and there were some livings existed on the desert
.

Along the road we could see camels scattered on the desert. The wonders were, there was no water for the camel to drink and some scattered grass to eat.
Along the way we could see people living in the desert. 
We stopped to get our hands on the camel in the desert
On the way we stopped at Nariyah which was about 70km from Jubail. Short distance but long hours because many pit stopping and sight seeing. In two hours we reached Khafji.
The question was, where was the camel farm. We tried to ask some people but no one could give the correct answer. We were not sure whether they don't know, they don't understand English or there was no camel farm there. We met two Arab boys who could speak English but they could not describe the place. But we found this place have something interesting.




Failed to find the camel farm we decided to go Kuwait border. There is not much interesting there, just to see the place which may be new to us.


We did not find many interesting there but at least we had the opportunity to explore the land of Saudi Arabia for the first time. We started back at about 4:00pm. On the way back found an ATV place for hire.
Of course my two sons were the happiest.


The day was getting dark, we started to drive home. We safely got home at about 8:00pm. It was freezing cold at that time.


That was my first sight seeing in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. There were more travelling after that onwards. Just wait for next sharing.








1 comment: